Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Sponsorship Fun

I came across this just now, and was pleasantly surprised. I'd always wondered about new Canadians coming to Canada through family class sponsorship, then immediately going on welfare. It turns out that the provincial and federal governments will come after the sponsor to recover the money paid out to the new immigrant (through welfare and other such payments). Apparently the sponsor is financially responsible for the new immigrant for 10 years.

I wholeheartedly support this policy, and believe it should be strictly enforced. The premise is simple. You, the sponsor, are bringing a relative into Canada. If the relative has marketable skills, they'll get a job and be self sustaining. If they don't, then you'll have to take care of them, not the taxpayers.

2 comments:

  1. I must have missed this and I just realized after commenting on three posts that you are a grit. LOL.

    My apologies. LOL.

    I'll still read your blog though, it's very interesting and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am a grit indeed :P But I am a blue one, which might explain why we agree on some of these matters.

    I'll start reading yours as well.

    ReplyDelete