Saturday, May 5, 2007

No One is Illegal? Bullshit.

Immigration is an issue that gets me riled up quite easily. I recently came across an organization known as 'No One is Illegal.' Before I start, let's have a bit of a backgrounder.

I am an immigrant turned citizen. My family immigrated to Canada in 1995. It's almost been 12 years, and they have been the 12 best years of my life. I am a proud Canadian citizen.

How did my family get here? Well we applied for immigration, had enough points, and were granted entry. Millions apply each year, only a few hundred thousand are qualified enough.

It was a deal that benefitted both my family and Canada. Canada got a skilled worker (my dad), and two future citizens with high earning potential (myself and my brother). But I think my family got the better end of the deal. We got security, education, healthcare, and most importantly, freedom.

What's the point? Becoming a Canadian resident (and then citizen) is a privilege, and it's for a privileged few. If it were for everyone, then we'd have to throw our borders open and let over half the world's population in. Very few people are foolish enough to suggest that, so let's move on.

I reently received an email about No One is Illegal (NOII) having a rally today to "Stop the Deportations." Let me state this unequivocally: Let the deportations continue. Let's start cracking down on illegal aliens like never before.

There is a huge, huge difference between legal and illegal. Organizations like NOII seek to blur the line, and convince Canadians that they are the same. They are not. They are here illegally. That means against the law. I really shouldn't have to explain that, but it seems people have forgotten the basic meaning of illegal.

If illegal aliens are granted the same rights and privileges as legal immigrants, then what does that say to people who play by the rules? Canada is a society of laws, rules, and structure, or so I thought. Canada told my family to fill out an application and get in line. We did, and now we're here enjoying the benefits of being Canadian. We played by the rules. The people who are here illegally did not play by the rules. They didn't get in line. They and their enablers will try to convince you that it is your moral obligation to give them the same rights and privileges you gave me. You shouldn't.

According to NOII: "Everyday over 500,000 undocumented people across Canada, and over 80,000 in Toronto, live in daily fear of detention and deportation. They are our coworkers, fellow students, political activists, family, friends, and community members. Working in the backs of hotels and restaurants, as domestic and agricultural workers, as taxi drivers and construction workers, and in other jobs, undocumented and immigrant communities experience racial profiling, exploitative working conditions, and lack of access to city services."

I have a few responses to this:

1) They shouldn't have gotten these jobs in the first place. Their employers are supposed to get verify their SIN cards, so we obviously have many employers breaking Canadian law. They need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, and the laws governing them need to be tightened.

2) Racial profiling? Bullshit. There are millions of LEGAL immigrants in this country, and they are from every imaginable race.

3) Exploitative working conditions? Meaning that an employer gave you a job at a shitty wage because you couldn't give him a SIN card? That you can't complain to the authorities because you're a criminal?

4) City services? Are you out of your mind?

Canadians are oh so afraid to speak out against illegal aliens for fear of being labelled racist. Well I'm a brown guy and I will not keep my mouth shut. We have a system, and the system has rules. According to these rules, illegal aliens will have an opportnity to make a case as a refugee and be granted refugee status. If that fails, they must be deported.

My family worked damn hard, followed the rules, waited for a long time, and spent a lot of money to get what we have now. Illegal aliens did none of these things, yet they want the same privileges and benefits as me? I don't think so.

2 comments:

  1. You MUST run for politics... I'd vote for you already. I'll ignore the Liberal slant. LOL.

    You speak the truth.

    Start getting ready for the upcoming Ontario election. If you run as a Conservative, my riding needs someone. I'll be your campaign manager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be appointed Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

    ReplyDelete