Sunday, November 8, 2009

The CRTC must be destroyed ASAP - Part 1

I've been looking forward to dumping my cell phone carrier (Rogers) for quite some time. Never mind the fact that they have the worst customer service I've ever encountered, they also have the fun habit of signing me up for things I didn't ask for (like a 3 year contract extension). Unfortunately for us Canadians, the other options (Bell and Telus) are just as bad or even worse.

The wireless spectrum auction that took place a few months ago made me quite hopeful that there might finally be more options. I was elated when I read about Wind Mobile and their planned launch for November. I even called Rogers to find out what my cancellation fee would be on my current Data Plan contract ($20 per month). I'm so fed up with Rogers that I was willing to pay this fee and jump to a new carrier.

But, lo and behold, the CRTC has blocked Wind Mobile's entry into the market. Why? Because they don't have enough Canadian ownership. My response to this was: huh?

The CRTC is enforcing foreign ownership laws in the telecoms market, but these laws are outdated.  Do most people care that Wind Mobile is owned by foreigners? I don't think so. The CRTC is simply in the business of protecting the big 3 against any serious competition.

This decision is beyond ridiculous. Imagine Toyota and Honda being told that they can't sell their vehicles to Canadians.

It's time to dismantle the CRTC once and for all. It may claim to protect Canadians, but it only protects big business and creates opportunities for them to screw Canadians.

Industry Minister Tony Clement is reviewing the decision and he does have the power to overturn it, but I doubt he'll make the right call.  Meanwhile, a company that spent half a billion dollars to bring Canadians something they want is forced to sit around and people like me are forced to stick with the shi*ty big three for a longer time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a conservative and I agree with you. The CRTC should be scrapped. Media and telecommunications protectionism is screwing us all over. For example, why can't we watch shows on US websites online?

    ReplyDelete